TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Wesrock@aol.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:28:47 EST

In a message dated Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:06:56 -0500, Monty Solomon
<monty@roscom.com> writes:

> CONCORD, N.H. --The E-ZPass system that will soon make it easier to
> pay tolls in New Hampshire will make it easier to track people's
> movements, privacy advocates warn.

> State officials say strict policies are in place to prevent that, and
> stress that E-ZPass will be voluntary. They also say the system will
> reduce traffic congestion and put off the need to expand the current
> toll plazas.

> http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2005/03/21/some_concerned_about_privacy_implications_of_e_zpass_system/

NH is just now getting E-Z Pass or some similar system?

Oklahoma, with more turnpikes than any other state, has had them
for 15 years or more. In Texas, where most of the toll roads are
urban, there has been a similar system (made by the same company) for
years. Kansas put in a similar system a few years ago.

Those privacy concerns have been raised in each of those states, and
come up again every so often. As far as I know, no problems have been
reported in any of the three states with privacy problems.

As the story says, you can choose not to participate. It's a real
pain once you've gotten used to driving on the turnpikes without
stopping -- newer toll plazas are being built with 75 mph lanes for
holders of the devices. Older toll plazas are being replaced or
remodeled to provide high speed lanes for those who have the devices.

You can still pay in cash if you want to carry proper change and
thread your way across several lanes to wait for your turn. If you
have to make change (some remote entrances/exits do not have manned
toll booths) the line will be even longer.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: jason: "GSM-900"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Barry Margolin: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Stuart Barkley: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Lisa Hancock: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: A User: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Chris Farrar: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Dave Close: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page