TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Chris Farrar (cfarrar1307@rogers.com)
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:12:35 -0500

> Stuart Barkley wrote:

>> other purposes.
>> There should also be an off switch on the unit although I can see that
>> causing more problems with people forgetting to turn it back on before
>> traveling through EZ-pass lanes.

> There actually is a rather low-tech measure that works very well:
> there's a plastic container bag that comes with every ez-pass
> transponder, and is coated with RF-blocking material. It looks a lot
> like very sturdy, semi-trasparent foil. The EZ-pass instruction
> booklets tell users that if they are concerned for any reason that
> their transponder might be read in an instance where they don't want
> it to be, they can remove the transponder from its windshield mount
> and place it in the bag, ensuring that the transponder will not be
> read.

> Not as convenient as an off switch, but it does solve the problem of
> people not being aware of the unit being "off" when they in fact want
> it "on." If it's in the bag, it's off. If it's on the windshield,
> then it's on.

Of course, this doesn't work so well for those of us who have cars
with metallic windshields, and have to use the licence plate mounted
EZPass. Its a little time consuming to mount and unmount it all the
time.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: What Happened To Channel 1"
Go to Previous message: A User: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"