TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
23 Mar 2005 06:59:50 -0800

Monty Solomon wrote:

> CONCORD, N.H. --The E-ZPass system that will soon make it easier to
> pay tolls in New Hampshire will make it easier to track people's
> movements, privacy advocates warn.

> State officials say strict policies are in place to prevent that, and
> stress that E-ZPass will be voluntary. They also say the system will
> reduce traffic congestion and put off the need to expand the current
> toll plazas.

Yes and No.

Some tollways give a big discount to EZPASS users and provide faster
lanes, making cash users pay more and wait longer. (Other tollways
actually charge more for EZPASS than cash users, which seems to defeat
the whole purpose of the program which is to encourage widespread
use.)

I'm sure each and every one of the organizations hit with big identity
data theft/loss cases recently would've also told us they had "strict
policies in place" what turned out to still happened, strict policies
or not.

I myself use EZPASS to get a toll discount and save time; it's also
convenient when I travel on other roads. But I don't like the loss of
privacy. My toll bridge doesn't handle it, some service contractor
down in DC does. The tollgates also have recording cameras to catch
toll skippers. Anyone who gets my account number and pin number can
go online and access my EZP driving history, and that's frightening.

There's also the concern if my car with its transponder unit is stolen.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"