TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:36:18 -0500

Stuart Barkley wrote:

> other purposes.
> There should also be an off switch on the unit although I can see that
> causing more problems with people forgetting to turn it back on before
> traveling through EZ-pass lanes.

There actually is a rather low-tech measure that works very well:
there's a plastic container bag that comes with every ez-pass
transponder, and is coated with RF-blocking material. It looks a lot
like very sturdy, semi-trasparent foil. The EZ-pass instruction
booklets tell users that if they are concerned for any reason that
their transponder might be read in an instance where they don't want
it to be, they can remove the transponder from its windshield mount
and place it in the bag, ensuring that the transponder will not be
read.

Not as convenient as an off switch, but it does solve the problem of
people not being aware of the unit being "off" when they in fact want
it "on." If it's in the bag, it's off. If it's on the windshield,
then it's on.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music"
Go to Previous message: Paul A Lee: "Re: OT/Tangent (was Re: We Don't Need no Steenkin Line Sharing)"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"