TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Lisa Hancock (hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com)
28 Mar 2005 13:46:23 -0800

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> Fast forward to yesterday. Assurances notwithstanding, I received a
> toll violation notice from the NJ Turnpike authority.

Very disturbing. These kinds of problems were supposed to be fixed on
the NJ Tpk.

There have been reports of database abuse by the Phila Parking
Authority. Seems that people who've never been to Phila are receiving
legal dunning letters for unpaid parking tickets issued years ago (per
newspaper reports). It appears the PPA is using a commercial database
to look up names of violators to track them down and issuing letters,
even if that person isn't the one who originally got the ticket.

In other words, a car with a license ABC123 gets a ticket. But a
notice sent to the registered address is returned. So they use the
database to try to find the name somewhere else. The problem is that
they're getting people in different cities with the same name.

Big brother is watching -- no -- going after you.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That was also a big stink in Chicago
at one point, maybe still is. People who have never been to Chicago
in their life get parking tickets _based on their license plates_
sent from City of Chicago with warrants issued for their arrest unless
they drop everything here and now and drive all the way to Chicago to
defend themselves, or preferably to the city's point of view, just
pay up and shut up. PAT]

Go to Next message: A User: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"