TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice

Traveller Seeks Phone Advice

D. Dude (xzzyxREMOVE@THIShotmail.com)
Sun, 15 May 2005 11:58:23 GMT

Hi, I'm planning on traveling to the US and Europe in the near future
so I'd appreciate some recommendations on which providers I should use
for cell service and phone/calling cards.

Pre-paid, since I assume I'm ineligible for credit, but I would
consider allowing a provider to directly bill a credit card number (if
they can be trusted). I don't have a SSN, or permanent US/European
address if that matters.

Services that require a minimum of pre-paid credit or offer wider
coverage would be better. My calls would be a mix of local and
long-distance including international. Having the option of toll-free
access for the calling card would probably be useful, if that is not a
given for US calling cards (it is not in Australia but we have larger
local call areas). I would expect that my cell usage would be fairly
low, limited mostly to receiving calls.

For the US, I'd like to have service in Hawaii, California, New York,
and the New England states. I'll pretty much be sticking to major
cities and the more touristed parts of these states.

I don't have a phone suitable for the US, so your recommendations for
a specific technology (CDMA, GSM etc) and a low cost handset (or
rental) would be welcome. WAP support would be plus if compatible with
the cheapest plans. A phone suitable for an elderly person with poor
eye-sight and dexterity, would be another plus, but not essential.
Offers for loaners or purchase of this phone would also be welcome.

For Europe, I'm planning on visiting the continent mainly to EU
states.

Thanks for any help,

D.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "EFFector 18.14: Action Alert - Support DMCA Reform - Help Pass HR"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
May be reply: Steven M. Scharf: "Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page