TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice

Re: Traveller Seeks Phone Advice

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 17 May 2005 19:13:24 -0700

On 16 May 2005 22:42:36 -0000, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> It appears that neither Cingular nor T-Mobile will sell you a prepaid
> SIM in the US without a phone. If you poke around on their web sites,
> all the prepaid plans include a phone. I realize there's no technical
> reason that you couldn't just pop in a new SIM like you can in Europe,
> but if they won't, they won't. My guess would be that there are so
> few unlocked GSM phones in the US and even fewer people who understand
> what they are that it's not worth the hassle of supporting them.

Indeed you can get a prepaid SIM kit from corporate T-Mobile stores.
I'm not sure what the story is with cingular. It's also possible to
get SIM kits on eBay for less than face value (less than $50 which is
what the corporate stores charge which includes $30 of talk time.)

> A regular subscription phone is no good, since the subscriptions are
> all for at least a year with a large penalty if you cancel early.

Subscription phones aren't usually available to visitors anyway since
most don't have US credit files or if a monthly plan is issued they
will charge a hefty deposit up front.

Go to Next message: Scott Kramer: "Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: AT&T Licensed the Transistor For Free"
May be in reply to: D. Dude: "Traveller Seeks Phone Advice"