TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Campus Fax Finder

Re: Campus Fax Finder

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:11:41 -0400

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote in message

> jtaylor wrote:

>> Currently there is no law that says (where I live) that I cannot
>> program a computer to call numbers looking for fax machines.

> I am not a lawyer, but I believe what you propose to do IS indeed
> against federal law. It absolutely is against the law to call certain
> restricted numbers or a line under monitor without legitimate purpose
> (and a review of your call out log would show that it wasn't
> legitimate).

I believe the OP already indicated that he only wants to call the phones on
a campus that he is somehow responsible for, so that may not be a problem.
But in general, I'm not a lawyer either, but you're right. See 47 USC 227
(b)(1)(B)), which says:

It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or any person
outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States
(A) to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made
with the prior express consent of the called party) using any automatic
telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice:

(i) to any emergency telephone line (including any '911' line and any
emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service office,
health care facility, poison control center, or fire protection or law
enforcement agency);

(ii) to the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of a
hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar
establishment; or

(iii) to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular
telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio
common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is
charged for the call;

(B) to initiate any telephone call to any residential telephone line
using an artificial or prerecorded voice to deliver a message without
the prior express consent of the called party, unless the call is
initiated for emergency purposes or is exempted by rule or order by
the Commission under paragraph (2)(B);

(C) to use any telephone facsimile machine, computer, or other device
to send an unsolicited advertisement to a telephone facsimile machine;
or

(D) to use an automatic telephone dialing system in such a way that
two or more telephone lines of a multi-line business are engaged
simultaneously.

I wish the junk-fax law were enforced. My office gets a junk fax
about once a day, apparently from a single company masquerading as
dozens of companies.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Campus Fax Finder"
Go to Previous message: jtaylor: "Re: Campus Fax Finder"
May be in reply to: Lanman: "Campus Fax Finder"