TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
23 Apr 2006 13:54:44 GMT

Harry Dodsworth <af877@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in
<telecom25.149.5@telecom-digest.org>:

> I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a
> download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

> However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a
> 56k modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect
> to freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

> As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL connection?

I had the same worries when I switched from a 2-wire leased line which
had trouble staying at 33k6 after rainy days (56k requires special
digital equipment at the ISP end of the line so I was limited to 33k6
and two leased-line modems) to ADSL (named 'mxstream by kpn' in those
days).

Either I was very lucky (the ADSL service was on a different pair
which had ISDN with no bit-errors at all) or ADSL is affected in
different ways than analog modems.

I have monitored the ADSL stats for that line for years, using scripts
you can find at http://idefix.net/~koos/speedtouchgraph/ if you happen
to have a speedtouch home modem and perl. The 'maximum line rate'
reported was always very high, around 7 megabit. The used line rate
was ofcourse lower, limited to what the subscription said.

This in a Dutch city with its high population density and short
distances to exchanges.

Koos van den Hout

Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites| Koos van den Hout
http://www.camp-wireless.org/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5| Fax +31-30-2817051

Go to Next message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: NPA-NXX Lists"
Go to Previous message: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be in reply to: Harry Dodsworth: "Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"