TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Harry Dodsworth (af877@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:50:29 GMT

I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a
download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a
56k modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect
to freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL connection?

The odd thing is that my exchange (613-731-xxxx) was one of the first
in the Ottawa area to be electronic -- I've had TouchTone since 1974,
and I have always had very reliable connections to freenet, even when
other members were having connection problems and dropping lines etc.
Maybe a solid line at a lower speed beats a high speed flakey line :-)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Before you invest your money in DSL, I
would at least look at a cable modem. Cable is typically just a wee
bit faster, plus you get the flexibility of changing telcos if you
find a telco you like better. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Is it Possible to Get a Shock From POTS/DSL"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "AT&T Teams With Akimbo for DSL VOD Service"
May be reply: DLR: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be reply: Julian Thomas: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be reply: Charles Gowder: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be reply: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be reply: Koos van den Hout: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be reply: Harry Dodsworth: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page