TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Anthony Bellanga (anthonybellanga@notchur.biz)
Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:00:27 -0700

******************************
PAT:
PLEASE DO NOT display my email
address anywhere in this post!
Thnx
******************************

Wes Leatherock wrote:

> Some of the places where cross-area code 7-digit was permitted, and
> may still be, were local calls in the greater Kansas City area (816
> in Missouri and 913 in Kansas)

Local calls within the Kansas City Metro Area, that cross the state
and area code line, i.e., calls that are between 816/MO and 913/KS,
have required ten-digit dialing for several years now. THe call is
still a local (free) call, and a 1+ is not required (although I don't
know if 1+ is permitted optionally, but I tend to doubt it). Ten-digit
local dialing across the state and area code boundary went mandatory
on December 4, 1999. It had been officially permissive since June 5,
1999 (although it might have already been permitted in some central
office switches prior to June 1999), and local calls within one's own
state and area code is also permitted as ten-digits since that date
(if not earlier).

> Texarkana, Arkansas-Texas (that's the name of the post office as
> well as the exchange)

The local telephone company for Texarkana TX/AR is no longer
GT&E. When GTE was absorbed into Bell Atlantic's new Verizon in 2000,
a good deal of Texas (including Texarkana TX and the Arkansas side as
well) was spun-out of Verizon into a new telecom entity called
"Valor". At that same time, all of GTE in Oklahoma and New Mexico was
also spun out of Verizon into Valor as well.

The 903 (Texas) side of Texarkana has been overlaid with area code
430, and thus has mandatory ten-digit local dialing for all calls
within 903 and 430. The overlay officially became effective on April
20, 2003. Mandatory ten-digit local dialing within 903, as well as
for all local calls between TX/903 and AR/870 took effect on February
15, 2003. Permissive ten-digit dialing in preparation for the overlay
took effect on July 20, 2002 (if not already permissive earlier in
some central office switches). The Arkansas side (area code 870, which
had split from 501 back in 1997) still has seven-digit local dialing
within the AR/870 side. However, since the TX/903 side is overlaid
with 430, and all local calls to and from the Texas side have to be
dialed with all ten-digits, I assume that Valor allows permissive
ten-digit local dialing for local calls within the AR/870 side, most
likely since July 20, 2002 (if not already permissive earlier in some
central office switches). I doubt that a 1+ is permitted before any
ten-digit dialed local calls though, whether originated in Texas or
Arkansas.

There are NO more "protected" central office codes in any of these
area codes -- neither in KS/913 (which had 785 split off from it back
in 1997) nor MO/816 (which had 660 split off from it back in 1992 as
well); nor in 870 or 903/430. Central office codes can be "duplicated"
with any of these area codes, even near the boundary, since ten-digits
is now required for all local calls crossing the state and area code
boundaries.

> Coffeyville, Kansas, and South Coffeyville, Oklahoma

I would *assume* that "protected" seven-digit local dialing is still
available between the OK (918) and KS (620) sides. Many local telcos
and state regulatory agencies still allow permissive seven-digit local
dialing across area code (and state) boundaries in rural areas with
smaller local calling areas, but even that isn't always the case
though now-a-days!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not think OK/KS allows 7-D in the
Coffeyville situation. Bartlesville, OK is in the 'regional' directory
which includes South Coffeyville (but _not_ C'ville itself) and when I
was there last week on a couple occassions I spent a few minutes as my
disposition permitted, looking at the regional phone book for clues of
one kind or another. It said rather plainly 'for calls to points in
southeast Kansas including Caney (literally across the _street_ from
a tiny place called Copan, OK), Coffeyville, Independence, etc dial
1-620 and the number.' I was hardly in a position to ssy either way
for sure I was so sick and confused the days I was there. PAT]

Go to Next message: Anthony Bellanga: "Mexico (Dial 1)"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "TiVo Mobile"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
May be reply: T: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page