TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Wed, 08 Mar 2006 21:06:42 -0000

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> For you geography fans out there:

> Just out curiosity, would anyone know the rates and dialing procedures
> between such very close small border towns of:

> Madawaska, Maine and Edmunston, New Brunswick

> Pembina, North Dakota and Emerson, Manitoba

> Sweetgrass, Montana and Coutts, Alberta

> Thomas Falls, Montana and Burke Idaho

Burke, Idaho is, for practical purposes, a ghost town

(Wallace, ID is the "big" town in the area, population circa 1100.)

All inter-state dialing in that vicinity is 1+areacode+number.`
Pretty much the entire width of the state is the "local calling area",
less than 30 miles _west_ gets you into WA state.

Telco switching offices are "few and far between" up there --
population density is *low*. I know there's one in Wallace, and one
in Sand Point. I think there's also one in Cour D'elane, and maybe
Kellogg.

The feds regulated max rates for (domestic U.S.) inter-state calls,
and a formula based strictly on distance was employed -- Burke
(vicinity) to Thomas Falls would have been about the same as Omaha NE
to Council Bluffs IA, or Souix City IA to South Souix City SD.

Go to Next message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit"
Go to Previous message: Hansi: "1993 TV Reportage, About a System Called INTERNET ( video - clip)"
May be in reply to: Anthony Bellanga: "Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"