TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who Owns the Music?

Re: Who Owns the Music?

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
5 Dec 2005 10:57:28 -0500

> - if I buy a new CD, I am presumably entitled to record it for local
> (computer/IPOD/backup/whatever) use. If I do that, am I (legally or
> otherwise) prohibited from reselling or giving away the CD?

Yes. You can think of the original media as holding the license for
your use of the material. You own the media, you do not own all
rights to the material on it. But possession of the media gives you
limited rights of use (as written on the back of the disk).

If you sell the media, you are also selling your rights to use the
material on it.

--scott

NOT FOR PUBLIC PERFORMANCE OR BROADCAST: LICENSED ONLY FOR USE ON
PHONOGRAPHS IN HOMES

Go to Next message: Carl Drueckhammer: "Re: Voicepulse Owns Your Number"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be in reply to: Michael Quinn Michael: "Who Owns the Music?"