TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Who Owns the Music?

Who Owns the Music?

Michael Quinn Michael (quinnm@bah.com)
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:33:33 -0500

The recent discussions about Sony led to some interesting discussions
among my colleagues about the used CD market:

- if I buy a new CD, I am presumably entitled to record it for local
(computer/IPOD/backup/whatever) use. If I do that, am I (legally or
otherwise) prohibited from reselling or giving away the CD? There is
a huge used CD market out there. And my kids keep taking my Frank
Sinatra and Pink Floyd CDs.

- if I resell or give away the CD, what about the next buyer/owner --
is he or she entitled to record it, as above, and then pass it on to
the next user?

- if I made a recording of the originally purchased CD, may I bequeath
that to the above mentioned kids?

The point may be moot -- one of our Thanksgiving dinner companions
suggested that in 5-10 years, CDs will be as obsolete as 8-track
tapes, and that all storage will be on volatile media (flash drives,
virtual drives, external hard drives, etc); I for one am going to miss
the album notes and lyrics, but hell, they'll be on-line as well.

Thoughts invited.

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
Go to Previous message: Mario Gomikian: "NEC Eelectra 616 Technical Specs"
May be reply: Gordon Burditt: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Lee Hollaar: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page