TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone"

Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone"

GooJa@post.com
22 May 2005 23:21:07 -0700

Mar 5, 10:53 pm Michael D. Sullivan

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
From: hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com - Find messages by this author
Date: 5 Mar 2005 19:53:56 -0800
Subject: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone"

As has been done for years, the regular telephone bill mailing
contained an advertising insert for premium products and services.

On a recent Verizon leaflet, at the bottom was a small line, "Bell
Telephone Company of Pennsylvania".

This was curious since that's a very old name that hasn't been used
for years. Even in the Bell era, they shortened it to just "Bell of
Pennsylvania". After divesture they became "Bell Atlantic", and IIRC
they legally changed their name to that. Further, IIRC, their name
change to Verizon was a legal name change as well, not just a
marketing tool.

So, I'm curious as to why they would use an old name on modern sales
literature, esp when they're pushing their most modern high tech
services. (They changed their name to Verizon specifically to sound
high tech and not old fashioned with 'Bell Telephone').

The only thing I could think of is perhaps it's to distinguish this
mailing for this state, and former Bell customers (as opposed to GTE
customers).

hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com Mar 6, 11:51 pm

> As has been done for years, the regular telephone bill mailing
> contained an advertising insert for premium products and services.
> On a recent Verizon leaflet, at the bottom was a small line,
> "Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania".
> This was curious since that's a very old name that hasn't been used
> for years. Even in the Bell era, they shortened it to just "Bell of
> Pennsylvania". After divesture they became "Bell Atlantic", and IIRC
> they legally changed their name to that. Further, IIRC, their name
> change to Verizon was a legal name change as well, not just a
> marketing tool.

> So, I'm curious as to why they would use an old name on modern sales
> literature, esp when they're pushing their most modern high tech
> services. (They changed their name to Verizon specifically to sound
> high tech and not old fashioned with 'Bell Telephone').
> The only thing I could think of is perhaps it's to distinguish this
> mailing for this state, and former Bell customers (as opposed to GTE
> customers).

The various mergers and corporate name changes that have taken place
over the last 20 years among the Bell companies have not, for the most
part, changed the legal name of the operating company within each
state. All of the Bell Atlantic companies use the Bell Atlantic name
to do business, but the state operating companies all have individual
names, auch as Bell Telephone Co. of Pa. I think some of them have
changed their names, however. Most likely the reason for the old name
appearing on the modern literature is a state PUC or statutory
requirement that the actual name of the operating company be provided
on marketing documents. This would be the name that appears on the
tariff, as well.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA
Replace "example.invalid" with ".com".

Gooja@Post.com May 22, 2005

Also since Verizon has a federal trademark on "Bell of Pennsylvania"
they are also maintaining the right to use that name. This trademark
could expire in 2007 or be cancelled unless they renew it.

VERIZON has added the BELL Logo to all its new payphones outside its
original market zones. It appears they are making further new use of
the BELL name since many of the old Baby Bells have stopped using the
name/logo(QUEST/SBC). A federal trademark can be considered abandoned
after 2 years of non-use. It looks like VERIZON is being very wise
about their use of the old name. Just printing the BELL Telephone name
on a new bill does show current usage of the old trademark. And yes,
there are still holding companies with the names
NYNEX/NY Telephone/New England Telephone/BellAtlantic with current
registered trademarks. VERIZON spent millions buying these trademarks
--why let them lapse?

We now have Pacific/Nevada Bell phones next to VERIZON BELL payphones
in some areas of the WEST. These Pacific/Nevada Bell phones are slowly
becoming SBC Nevada or SBC Pacific branded phones. I thought SBC would
have complained after Verizon started using the old BELL logo on their
new phones 3 years ago. SBC other than the SouthWestern BELL logo for
telephone accessories does not use the BELL logo anywhere else
recently. BELL SOUTH and Cincinnati BELL seem to care about keeping
the old names.

Go to Next message: slippymississippi@yahoo.com: "Packet8 DTMF Tones Sound "Clipped""
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "ACLU Pizza"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone""
May be reply: Al Gillis: "Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone""
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone""
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone""
TELECOM Digest: Home Page