TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone"

Re: Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone"

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Mon, 23 May 2005 23:56:03 -0700

Al Gillis wrote:

> On a slow day a few years ago I was looking at some US West (now
> Qwest) tariffs at the Oregon PUC. Most of the documents had wording
> that went something like "...Pacifc Northwest Bell, dba US West...",
> with dba standing for "doing business as". I don't know this for
> sure, but I'm guessing changing the name of a big company might be
> really expensive but using another name for the business might be as
> easy as filing a form with a state's corporation commission. This
> same syndrome afflicts many railroads; One road buys another, paints
> new logos all over everything but retains the old name on deeds to
> properties, operating authorities and the like. In addition to being
> expensive this tactic might shield the new owner from misdeeds of the
> former company. Who knows?

Not just a railroad and telecom issue, either.

Look how many companies Clear Channel bought, and a ton of them still
have the original licensee's name on the license, like Clear Channel
Victor Valley, which owns most of our local radio outlets that are
still licensed to Capstar ... Capstar sold out to Clear Channel long
before I moved here.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Go to Next message: PrinceGunter: "Re: Packet8 DTMF Tones Sound "Clipped""
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Very Early Modems"
May be in reply to: GooJa@post.com: "Corporate Identify -- Verizon vs. "Bell Telephone""