TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls

Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls

Rick Merrill (RM@THROW.net)
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:56:19 -0500

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> The NYT reported that business now routinely monitor and record calls
> to customer service, even when the caller is on hold.

> See:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/business/11snoop.html?oref=login&8hpib

> This is perfectly legal and protected by the "your call may be
> monitored" notice they say at the beginning.

Legal yes, but Bull: That message is NOT played to people placing
outgoing calls.

> One troubling aspect of the report was that the monitoring is done by
> 3rd party companies. To me, that opens up the risk for identity-theft
> since the monitors can hear all very personal information, including
> stuff said on hold.

Awesome concern - dang that's a good point!

> The report mentioned a monitor citing an employee who gave her phone
> number to a customer asking for a date. Why was that wrong? Indeed,
> I as a customer developed several good phone relationships with the
> company rec and would've pursued one except the rep was based way too
> far away from me. (Another was very nice but married).

> Is this monitoring fair to customers and employees? Is it in the
> public interest?

Go to Next message: joe: "Re: Using Cell Phone as Pager"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"