TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls

Business Monitoring of Phone Calls

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
11 Jan 2005 13:06:37 -0800

The NYT reported that business now routinely monitor and record calls
to customer service, even when the caller is on hold.

See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/business/11snoop.html?oref=login&8hpib

This is perfectly legal and protected by the "your call may be
monitored" notice they say at the beginning.

One troubling aspect of the report was that the monitoring is done by
3rd party companies. To me, that opens up the risk for identity-theft
since the monitors can hear all very personal information, including
stuff said on hold.

The report mentioned a monitor citing an employee who gave her phone
number to a customer asking for a date. Why was that wrong? Indeed,
I as a customer developed several good phone relationships with the
company rec and would've pursued one except the rep was based way too
far away from me. (Another was very nice but married).

Is this monitoring fair to customers and employees? Is it in the
public interest?

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: REN For Western Electric Products?"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Penna Attorney General and Norvergence"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be reply: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be reply: Rick Merrill: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page