TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cromwell vrs. Sprint Settlement

Re: Cromwell vrs. Sprint Settlement

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:29:28 -0800

TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

> I dunno, somewhere I read that Sprint was supposed to be so much
> cheaper than AT&T ... of course I know this card was *free*, but
> still, is the above their 'typical' rates?

MCI is supposed to be cheaper than AT&T too, but their calling card
rates still suck. Around here I can buy Sprint and MCI prepaid cards
at the local grocery store chains, and they're cheap. But so are AT&T
cards from Wal*Mart. Why? The SMALLEST such chain here is
locally-owned Stater Brothers Market, which is headquartered about an
hour from here in Colton, CA. And I'm sure they buy thousands of the
cards at once. The other chains are Von's (Safeway Stores, Inc.),
Ralphs and Food4Less (Kroger Company) and Albertsons (Federated Inc).
Safeway, Kroger and Federated are all huge companies with lots of
buying power -- Kroger, in particular, is by far the largest grocery
company in the country, if not in the world.

And we all know how big Wal*Mart is.

(a) I'd question how many plaintiffs got cards -- I'm sure it's small
compared to the number of cards a typical large retail chain buys in a
year.

(b) I wouldn't expect any special deals on cards given out as a
settlement lawsuit -- I'm sure Sprint wants to minimize its losses
from the suit.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Hanging Up On Wireless Spam"
Go to Previous message: Barry Margolin: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Cromwell vrs. Sprint Settlement"