TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service

Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:03:28 -0500

googlenospam@netcrafting.com wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Someone committed fraud on you. When
> you purchase (or otherwise take over) an existing business, then
> you take over not only the assets of the existing business, but the
> *liabilities* as well, unless the people going *out* of business
> specifically publish a notice to the effect otherwise, which is to
> afford *you* - the holder of that asset (by virtue of your lifetime
> subscription in this case) -- the opportunity to collect on it from
> the original owner of the business.

I think an exception to this is if the company taken over was in
bankruptcy. This seems to allow some freedom for the new owner in
cancelling or renegotiating contracts. When I was working for Genuity
and Level(3) acquired us, they started cancelling many of our customers'
contracts because they weren't profitable (I assume we'd been giving
lots of discounts in order to build up the business, but Level(3) was
big enough that they didn't need loss leaders like these).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Cromwell vrs. Sprint Settlement"
Go to Previous message: William Van Hefner: "Re: DirecTV Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be in reply to: googlenospam@netcrafting.com: "DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page