TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wireless in Cherryvale

Re: Wireless in Cherryvale

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:45:10 -0800

On 18 Dec 2004 21:02:18 -0000, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> The A-side AMPS carrier is Alltel with CDMA and analog, and the B side
> is US Cellular with TDMA and analog. There's also some 1900 MHz
> carriers, but your 5165 is 800 MHz only.

Sorry you have incorrect information. The Nokia 5165 is 800/1900 TDMA
and 800 AMPS.

The Nokia 5120 is 800 TDMA only.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/5165/0,2803,feat:1,00.html

Date: 18 Dec 2004 16:48:56 -0800
From: dave@compata.com (Dave Close)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Cell Phone Motorists Are Dangerous
Sender: editor@telecom-digest.org

Phil McKerracher <phil@mckerracher.org> writes:

> But I completely agree that people should pull over or at least use a
> hands-free kit.

There are far too many roads on which it is impossible to "pull over".
Consider most central business districts: the only potential pull-over
spots are turn lanes or bus stops. Even if an empty parking space were
nearby, you couldn't get into it while answering a call.

When people talk about pulling over, they seem to think that all calls
happen while driving on highways. It may be more likely to find a good
spot along a highway or freeway, but many of those don't have an extra
lane, either. That fact is that, many times it is less distracting to
answer an incoming call, speak for a minute or two, and continue on.
Extended conversations are a different matter, I'd agree.

A hands-free kit is nice, but again not always practical. One is not
likely installed in your rental car, for example. And putting on a
headset for every short drive, most of which will not involve a phone
call, seems overkill.

But blaming the phone is all the rage, as is blaming blood alcohol
levels. (I've seen studies showing that people with /one/ drink are
safer drivers than those with no drinks.) It seems we just can't bring
ourselves, as a society, to put the blame where it really belongs: on
the person misbehaving.

-- Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA +1 714
434 7359 dave@compata.com dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu

"Political campaigns are the graveyard of real ideas and the
birthplace of empty promises." -- Teresa Heinz Kerry

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: USATODAY.com - Airborne Cell-Phone Ban Likely to Remain For Now"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: AFA (Flight Attendants) Opposes In-Flight Cell Phone Use"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Wireless in Cherryvale"