TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem

Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:14:56 -0500

kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net says:

> In article <telecom23.544.6@telecom-digest.org>,
> kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net says:

>> It appears the problem is solved.

>> I looked at Linksys's datasheet for the RT31P2 router and found you
>> could vary the ring voltage and frequency (60 to 90 vrms at 10 to 40Hz).
>> But Vonage locks that on the router.

>> Finally got a former switch tech when I called support who understood
>> what I was telling him in that the router is supposed to support 5REN on
>> the jack on the router.

>> I told him to crank the voltage to 90 vrms and sure enough -- the
>> Trimline, Princess and Celebrity all ring when they're plugged in
>> together.

>> He mentioned 90 vrms stressing the unit. I told him that if the unit
>> was stressed by 90 vrms which is telecom industry standard for ring
>> voltage, and further that the specs for the unit indicate it is
>> capable of, then the problem lay with their choice of router not the
>> settings.

>> So all is functional now. All I have left to do is the dial pulse to
>> DTMF converter so my Imperial and 302 can connect and I'll be all set.

>> Tony

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I assume the tech had to unlock your
>> TA at his end while you were speaking and make that change to 90 vms.
>> And as far as their choice of router goes, I am not hearing very
>> good things about the Linksys device. I do not know what Vonage was
>> hung about with the Motorola TA; it has mostly worked fine for me,
>> although a couple people with super sensitive ears still complain to
>> me that I 'drop out' on occassion when talking to them. I just tell
>> them to put new batteries in their hearing aids. PAT]

> The unit appears to be working well now. I have noted some peculiarities
> though.

> I found either dialing 1+NPA+NXX+XXXX completes calls in < 2 seconds
> while dialing NXX-XXXX takes 5 to 6 seconds -- they're waiting to time
> out in that case.

> I also note that in some instances ringback will continue even
> though supervision has started.

> Click to Dial works great. I just wish it would save phone numbers but
> it doesn't appear to be doing so.

> Overall the receive audio quality is mostly superb (I do notice a
> slight background noise that reminds me of the old microwave
> transmissions systems for LD calls.) and outgoing audio reminds most
> people of a cell phone less the gaps. I can live with that.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: On your Vonage seven digit dialing try
> adding a carriage return ('#') at the end of your dialing string to
> speed things up somewhat. In other words, NXX-XXXX# should work a bit
> faster. PAT]

Ah yes, I should have mentioned that I tried the terminator also. That
also gives a < 2 second connection time.

It's funny how spoiled you get by the incumbent carrier though. Punch a
7 digit number with no terminator and the call connects immediately.

Probably because they've got all sorts of ARS and routing tables set
up to handle it. Kind of hard to do on a little Linksys router.

I do know how Vonage put its network of sorts together though. They're
just using excess capacity on all these IP aware switches throughout
the country. For example, mine appears to route through Paetec's
switch in Providence.

That is probably what upsets the ILEC's the most -- that someone else
figured out how to use excess CLEC capacity to their own benefit.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think the difference is the telco
says the default condition is seven digits, with eleven now and then
providing the first digit is '1', or occassionally three digits of
the form N11. Vonage on the other hand says the rule is eleven digits
always beginning with '1' and occassional exceptions being seven
digits. Note how with telco you can do '0#' (zero pound) and cut
through to an operator immediatly. Ever since telco started allowing
things like 011+, and 01+ they have to time out the operator as
well. Just a straight and solo '0' lets you sit there for six or seven
seconds before it times out also as a result. A terminator or carriage
return (#) always tells telco (and usually Vonage) 'that is all you
are going to get, so act on it'. PAT]

Go to Next message: w_tom: "Re: Cable Internet, was: Internet Without Landline?"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be in reply to: Tony P.: "Update: Vonage Ring Problem"