TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Update: Vonage Ring Problem

Update: Vonage Ring Problem

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:19:48 -0500

It appears the problem is solved.

I looked at Linksys's datasheet for the RT31P2 router and found you
could vary the ring voltage and frequency (60 to 90 vrms at 10 to 40Hz).
But Vonage locks that on the router.

Finally got a former switch tech when I called support who understood
what I was telling him in that the router is supposed to support 5REN on
the jack on the router.

I told him to crank the voltage to 90 vrms and sure enough -- the
Trimline, Princess and Celebrity all ring when they're plugged in
together.

He mentioned 90 vrms stressing the unit. I told him that if the unit
was stressed by 90 vrms which is telecom industry standard for ring
voltage, and further that the specs for the unit indicate it is
capable of, then the problem lay with their choice of router not the
settings.

So all is functional now. All I have left to do is the dial pulse to
DTMF converter so my Imperial and 302 can connect and I'll be all set.

Tony

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I assume the tech had to unlock your
TA at his end while you were speaking and make that change to 90 vms.
And as far as their choice of router goes, I am not hearing very
good things about the Linksys device. I do not know what Vonage was
hung about with the Motorola TA; it has mostly worked fine for me,
although a couple people with super sensitive ears still complain to
me that I 'drop out' on occassion when talking to them. I just tell
them to put new batteries in their hearing aids. PAT]

Go to Next message: jdj: "Re: Criminals 'Joining Finance Firms'"
Go to Previous message: Mike Sutter: "Vonage Phone Adapter"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be reply: Steve Crow: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
May be reply: John R. Covert: "Re: Update: Vonage Ring Problem"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page