TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

Sam Spade (Sam@coldmail.com)
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:49:22 GMT

njem wrote:

> The phones I've had and those of some friends all just show a number
> for caller ID but not a name. On my home phone these same callers will
> show with name and number. Is it certain phones, or certain services,
> or the whole cell/mobile system that drops the name? And why? Caller
> ID loses most of its value when the name is dropped.

The FCC 1995 decision that mandated Caller ID required that only the
number be sent. The name service is an industry enhancement that is
strictly optional. There have been unending squabbles within the greedy
little minions that run the telcos who should pay for what to have name
delivery.

Don't ever expect universal delivery of names.

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "Re: NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage"
Go to Previous message: Henry: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
May be reply: Chris Farrar: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be reply: Bill Michaelson: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be reply: Arthur Kamlet: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page