TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

DevilsPGD (spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net)
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:42:24 GMT

In message <telecom25.331.10@telecom-digest.org> Mark Crispin
<mrc@cac.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, njem wrote:

>> The phones I've had and those of some friends all just show a number
>> for caller ID but not a name. On my home phone these same callers will
>> show with name and number. Is it certain phones, or certain services,
>> or the whole cell/mobile system that drops the name? And why? Caller
>> ID loses most of its value when the name is dropped.

> If you are talking about display of caller ID on a cell phone, the cell
> phone network does not transmit name. If a name is displayed in caller ID
> on a cell phone, that is because you have the name and number in your cell
> phone's phonebook.

That depends on your cell phone. My Rogers GSM Motorola Razr receives
both names and numbers on inbound calls.

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Skype Introduces Video Calling for Macintosh Users; Cross"
May be in reply to: Sam Spade: "Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page