TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Daniel J McDonald (djmcdona@fnord.io.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:23:06 -0500

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> Many companies today answer their phone with a long winded answer.
> As a customer, I find it annoying and distracting. Which do you think is
> best?

> a) "Jones & Co."

Too short. There is no preamble that the caller can recognize to clue
them in that the company name is coming. I often have to ask the person
to repeat the company name in this circumstance.

> b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

B, for most individuals, is the most appropriate.

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking,
how I direct your call?"

Appropriate for a receptionist, not for the general worker.

> d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

Gag me.

> While waiting in line at the video store, the clerk had to answer the
> phone with D. To me, that was a waste of time, especially when other
> customers are waiting.

Daniel J McDonald CCIE # 2495, CNX
Visit my website: http://www.austinnetworkdesign.com

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Re: Speed Dials"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"