TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com)
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:41:13 -0400

Monty Solomon wrote:

> By Tyler B. Reed/ Daily News Staff

> FRAMINGHAM -- High school administrators under a new policy are
> claiming the right to snatch information stored in students' cell
> phones when they search for drugs or stolen property at school.

> The change clarifies the school's search and seizure policy, adding
> cell phones to the list of places school officials can snoop if they
> suspect a student has contraband.

> Federal law says school officials need only "reasonable suspicion" of
> the presence of drugs or stolen goods to conduct searches.

> "We reserve the right to look through the cell phone," Principal
> Michael Welch said. "It would be no different than if a student were
> to have a notebook. We've had instances of graffiti. We've looked
> through a notebook and found identical instances of graffiti."

That's very interesting: it implies that the searchers already know the
phone number of the dealers, or student dealers.

;-) Next thing you know is they'll be searching for stolen 'ring tones' !-)

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Back to Being a Luddite (Oh Well)"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Caller ID Scammers Plan to do a Number on You"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones"