TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

ranck@vt.edu
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:19:20 +0000 (UTC)

Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> By Tyler B. Reed/ Daily News Staff

> "We reserve the right to look through the cell phone," Principal
> Michael Welch said. "It would be no different than if a student were
> to have a notebook. We've had instances of graffiti. We've looked
> through a notebook and found identical instances of graffiti."

Without going into the rights issue, how do they know that the
"identical" grafitti in a notebook wasn't something the student copied
off of the real grafitti because he thought it was cool. I mean,
sure, it's gives them some probable cause to further question, but
it's hardly damning evidence by itself.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers Ahead"
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: Superframing and ESF ... A Little Confused"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones"