TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Campus Fax Finder

Re: Campus Fax Finder

Bob Goudreau (BobGoudreau@notchurbiz.info)
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:13:28 -0400

[Please obfuscate my email address as usual. Thanks.]

Lisa Hancock wrote:

> Robert Bonomi wrote:

>> Not only 'not a lawyer', but not much of a geographer, either. :) the
>> original poster lives in _Canada_.

> The first poster of the thread displayed to me stated the person
> wanted to test lines within his company. Aside from being a rather
> foolish thing to). Almost all posters here are from the
> U.S. do, it was still inside a PBX and thus ok.

> However, a subsequent poster boasted about doing this outside a
> business. Nowhere did I see any statement that he was not in the U.S.
> (If I missed it I apologize.)

It should have been pretty easy to catch from the header in the
message from the second poster (who was, as you mention, the one who
stated that there was no law where he/she lived preventing
fax-hunting):

> From: jtaylor <jtaylor@deletethis.hfx.andara.com>
> Subject: Re: Campus Fax Finder
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:39:13 -0300

Judging from the "MCI Canada" newsreader, the GMT -0300 time offset
and the "hfx" in his (obfuscated) email address, I would hazard a more
specific guess that he/she is located in or near Halifax, Nova Scotia.
But the "Canada" part is pretty hard to miss regardless.

> (P.S. I'm familiar with Canada, but what/where is _Canada_ ? Is that
> a separate region with different rules than main Canada?)

Lisa, this hardly becomes you. You are a well-known long-time and
respected contributor to the Digest, so people will simply not find it
credible if you claim you have never seen underscores used to indicate
emphasis before. Any casual perusal of the back issues will show
thousands of examples of such usage, which has its origins in the
typewriter days when underlining was used for emphasis. Not all early
computer display devices could handle underlining consistently, so a
convention developed in which prefixing and suffixing a phrase with
underscore characters indicated that the reader should treat the
entire intervening phrase as if it were underlined.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: George Mitchell: "Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites"
Go to Previous message: jtaylor: "Re: Campus Fax Finder"
May be in reply to: Lanman: "Campus Fax Finder"