TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage

Re: Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage

Lena (lenagainster@gmail.com)
18 Apr 2006 04:01:58 -0700

curious_br wrote:

> ... Vonage will not be able to port my local service directly
> from AT&T and that I will need to switch my local service to Verizon
> and then port to Vonage from that provider. Is there any truth to this?

Possibly. AT&T may not have a portability agreement set up with
Vonage. I am going through a similar problem, trying to port my
number from Cavalier Telephone (a Richmond, VA company) to AT&T's
CallVantage.

I was told by AT&T that they could not port my number directly and
suggested I switch from Cavalier to Verizon and then to AT&T. (To
make matters worse, I cannot port my number from Cavalier to Verizon
until I have the DSL removed from my line, which, according to
Cavalier, takes "15 to 20 business days".) I think it is unfair to
"use" Verizon in this manner; certainly they lose money setting up
accounts for all these folks who just want to keep their home or
business phone numbers, only to have them closed after a month or so
of service. We all have been paying a fee for quite a while to insure
number portability, and when we want to take advantage of it, the
system fails.

Lena

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
Go to Previous message: Dailhart: "Re: How to Dial a Toll-Free Number Using a Calling Card"
May be in reply to: curious_br: "Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage"