TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto

Re: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:12:11 GMT

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:08:02 -0800, gladman911 wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to dial 800 and 888 numbers in the US from
> Toronto?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A good question. This is mostly up to
> the recipient of the call, if he wants to receive a call from an
> international point or not.... The other thing you
> can do is use the 'USA Direct' number from the country you are in, and
> on that, _you_ pay for a call to the USA border and then the 800 owner
> pays for a call from there to his point. There are also 'privately
> maintained gateways' doing the same thing. Dial direct into them then
> on fresh dialtone dial the USA toll-free number. You cannot force
> someone to pay for a collect call (automated, via 800 or otherwise)
> unless they wish to do so.

When BT started doing something like this, I looked into how it
worked. Since I worked for another carrier at the time, I had a
friend in London dial one of our 800 numbers and dumped the ANI. If I
recall correctly, the call was made to appear to come from Phoenix,
which is rather poetic. It was a pretty neat hack on the one side, but
might have been theft from the 800 subscriber on the other, who might
not even be capable of doing business overseas.

I guess it was never a big enough issue for anyone to raise Cain
about. For what national 800 costs these days, if I got enough
overseas calls to be irritated, I would probably be paying more
attention to the interest in my offerings from as yet unserved
markets.

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: History of Hayes Modem"
May be in reply to: gladman911@gmail.com: "How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto"