TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)

Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:25:33 GMT

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:01:22 -0700, Anthony Bellanga wrote:

> These days, more and more businesses outside of the US and Canada are
> listing their full international number in adverts and such. You are
> seeing more numbers displayed on the Internet and elsewhere (if you
> see non-US/Canadian ads and such), as +44 etc (for the UK) or +81 etc
> (for Japan), +33 etc (for France) etc.

I pretty much agree with your comments, and would add another bit, mainly
for NANP readers. The access code for domestic long distance in Europe,
and a number of other areas, is 0. This isn't part of the international
number, so if you see a number like +44 (0)20 ..., the zero in parentheses
should be dropped. Similarly, where a national number is referenced, the
leading zero should be dropped before prepending the international access
code and country code.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: History of Hayes Modem"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto"
May be in reply to: Anthony Bellanga: "Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)"