TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

Phil Earnhardt (pae@dim.com)
8 Jan 2006 23:25:55 -0800

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:20:21 -0600, Katherine Shrader <ap@telecom-digest.org>
wrote:

> By KATHERINE SHRADER, Associated Press Writer

> A majority of Americans want the Bush administration to get court
> approval before eavesdropping on people inside the United States, even
> if those calls might involve suspected terrorists, an AP-Ipsos poll
> shows.

And how many citizens polled replied that they had failed to inform
themselves sufficiently in order to opine on the question?

Most of the media articles I've read about this speak little about the
fact and precedent. Two that did speak of such things are:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007703

Which was published 4 days after the NYT article/excerpts from the
book and

http://www.opinionjournal.com/weekend/hottopic/?id=110007783

Which explains why warrants are often problematic.

The ACLU did their damndest to muddle the issue with the full-page ad
they took out in the 12/29/2005 issue of the New York Times:

http://www.aclu.org/images/bushnixonwiretappingnytadsmall122905.jpg

There is no comparison between Nixon's wiretaps and the NSA wiretaps
being discussed here. Shame on that organization to try to make such a
link.

I fondly wish that more Americans would take the time to educate
themselves on this issue.

--phil

Go to Next message: Associated Press News Wire: "Fiber Optics Cut Causes Sprint Service Interuption"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be in reply to: Katherine Shrader: "Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps"