TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
25 Dec 2005 12:41:30 -0800

If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer,
after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you the
party is not available and terminate the call.

When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't think
it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is that one
does get charged.

A few years ago I was meeting a friend at a convention, and I was to
call his cell phone from a pay phone upon my arrival. His cell phone
number was long distance from that point. I called a few times using
my Calling Card but couldn't reach him and I was billed for the calls.
(I complained and they took it off.)

Now I realize most people today have such low per-call fees (ie 10c)
so this isn't an issue, but there are times from a pay phone, long
distance, or peak period cell phone roaming where the per-call charge
is indeed significant, even as much as a dollar or more per minute.
It doesn't seem to fair to charge for unanswered calls. I don't know
if traditional supervision (call answered) signals are passed back
from cell phone switches.

[public replies, please]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Entire New York Times Available On-Line"
Go to Previous message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove, Officials Report"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page