TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wage Laws, was Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Re: Wage Laws, was Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomni.com)
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:27:48 -0000

In article <telecom24.560.5@telecom-digest.org>, Danny Burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> In <telecom24.559.7@telecom-digest.org> sethb@panix.com (Seth
> Breidbart) writes: [ snip ]

>> According to the "Your Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act"
>> poster (as posted in every workplace), you get time and a half after
>> 40 hours worked in a week. It doesn't say anything about holidays.

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Not only for more than 40 hours in
>> one week, but also more than 8 hours in one day. PAT]

> While many people believe that, I'm not aware of any such daily
> requirement.

_FEDERAL_ law does not require 'time and a half' for more than 8 hours
worked.

A number of STATE laws -do- so require.

Federal law expressly provides that if there are both state and
federal requirements that apply, the method that gives the employee
the higher pay will be used.

Federal law specifically does _not_ mandate extra pay for evening,
night, weekend or holiday work. According to the U.S. dept of labor,
"these are matters for negotiation between the employer and employee
(or his representative)".

Go to Next message: Adam L. Penenberg: "Spamming the Wrong Message"
Go to Previous message: Carl Zwanzig: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be in reply to: Danny Burstein: "Wage Laws, was Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page