TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hypothetical SxS Question

Re: Hypothetical SxS Question

Carl Zwanzig (zbang@radix.net)
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:31:57 -0000

Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

> And I'm sure you remember the little "dial lock" gizmos that were
> clamped into the "1" fingerhole and were supposed to keep people from
> making outbound calls on an unattended office telephone? It seems
> that nobody ever thought about dialing with the switchhook -- or just
> banging away with ten or more pulses and asking the operator for
> assistance.

In my high school's computer lab (two ASR33's and an HP 9100), they
resorted to locking the dial in the off-normal position -because- we
were dialing with the switchhook (for some reason, we called it Dutch
Dialing). Ten quick snaps of the hook and "Assistance in dialing,
please". A small mod to the set fixed that... (as did the portable
tone pad).

Speaking of which, is there an online copy of the famous phrase book
for operators?

z!

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Wage Laws, was Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: FTC Do Not Call List"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Hypothetical SxS Question"