TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hypothetical SxS Question

Re: Hypothetical SxS Question

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.org)
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 22:29:52 UTC

TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to Wesrock@aol.com:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I used to know someone who worked his
> away around the 'incoming calls only' rule on a telephone at the place
> where he lived. Although the phone did have dial tone, it also had a
> blank face plate, to avoid being able to dial outgoing calls,
> supposedly. His response was to learn how to tap on the hook in the
> proper sequence and timing. Inconvenient to be sure, but it worked. PAT]

And I'm sure you remember the little "dial lock" gizmos that were
clamped into the "1" fingerhole and were supposed to keep people from
making outbound calls on an unattended office telephone? It seems
that nobody ever thought about dialing with the switchhook -- or just
banging away with ten or more pulses and asking the operator for
assistance.

Joe Morris

Go to Next message: Arthur Kamlet: "Re: Hanging up on the New Ma Bell"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Hypothetical SxS Question"