TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: How Do I Detect the Number of a Phone Line?

How Do I Detect the Number of a Phone Line?

jason.sandlin@wymtnews.com
11 Nov 2005 07:48:11 -0800

Hey. I am going to be running a few new phone lines into my building. I
have the TS21 Harris test set, but I want to be able to see what the
number is on the line that I am testing. I have seen this done before,
but i am not sure how. I want to do this so that I am sure that I do
not cross any lines. I will be running the lines and testing them. I
know how to test for tone, polarity and all of that stuff. I just want
to be able to see what the phone number is coming in on that line.

Please help.

Thanks

Jason

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: In most communities there is a phone
number one can call which will recite back to you the number you are
on. The number to dial changes from one community to another, and
itself is frequently changed. (It is intended only for telco outside
plant technicians to use.) If you check with Mike Sandman mike@sandman.com
or http://sandman.com he also has an 800 number set up to do the same
thing. You dial into the 800 number; it reads back your number to you.
And there are other 800 numbers doing the same thing, but I forget
what they are. PAT]

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Good News, Linux Users! A Worm Just for You"
Go to Previous message: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Vonage and 911 Saga may be Drawing to a Close"
May be reply: Ron Kritzman: "Re: How Do I Detect the Number of a Phone Line?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page