TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:56:32 -0500

It was a dark and stormy night when PAT wrote:

> how does one pronounce an upper case /S/ differently than a lower
> case /s/ in order to avoid violating any trademarks?

"I'm gonna fry up some spam and make a sandwich." I don't think
trademark confusion is likely to arise.

"Dammit, my inbox is full of spam again!" Nor here, unless the speaker
is sitting at a desk in a Hormel meat-packing plant.

Protecting trademarks is about avoiding confusion. It's ok to sell
Saturn cars, even if there's a store that sells planets next door.
It's ok to call the products made from coal and Colombian vegetation
"coke".

Besides, Hormel is bowing to the inevitable. There's no way to stop
the world from calling the email byproduct "spam", all they can do is
make sure people know if it's a meat byproduct, it only comes from
them.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers"
Go to Previous message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: Alltel/AT&T/Cingular in Oklahoma City Market Area"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"