TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers

Re: Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:08:58 -0700

Paul Coxwell wrote:

> I can't help but ponder upon the irony that a ruling intended to make
> people aware of how the service may not work as they believe could
> result in the service being withdrawn altogether, so they won't be
> able to place ANY call.

> To hear the fuss, it kind of makes me wonder how anybody ever managed
> before 911.

> I know when I was down in Georgia around 1992/93 there were still
> quite a few of the more rural counties which had no 911 service at
> all, so it's not as though we're talking about ancient history either.

Sometime between my freshman year in high school (1984-5) and my
junior year (1986-7), I did a piece for the high school paper about
Cuyahoga County, Ohio's new 9-1-1 system (not Enhanced 9-1-1, mind
you, just 9-1-1).

Cuyahoga County is one of the largest counties in Ohio (second largest
IIRC), and includes Cleveland, the 25th largest city in the USA.

I thought it was a godsend. The South Euclid Police Department's
number was 216-381-1234 and our home phone number was
216-381-1231. I'd gotten tired of taking emergency calls for them. :)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Go to Next message: nmclain@annsgarden.com: "Re: Broadband Competition Must Surely be Working"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"
May be in reply to: Bruce Meyerson: "Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers"