TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:08:46 +0100

> The "Columbia Journalism Review", a magazine for reporters, often has
> ads by corporations reminding people about using trademarks as
> everyday words. I guess the most common example today is using
> "Xerox" as a verb ("go xerox this letter") or a noun ("I'll send you a
> xerox of the letter"). It is a trademark and is properly used to
> describe a particular brand of copier machine or the company that
> makes them: ("I'll run them off on our Xerox machine").

Xerox isn't used in a generic sense quite so much in Britain as in the
States, but we have plenty of other examples.

"Hoover" is commonly used both as a generic name for any sort of
vaccuum cleaner, and as a verb, e.g. "I'll just hoover up" or even
"I'm going to do the hoovering." The Hoover name never became generic
for any of the other types of appliances they made, such as irons and
refrigerators. Had the latter been the most widely associated product
of the company, maybe today people would talk about "Getting some milk
from the Hoover." Sounds weird, but it could have happened.

-Paul

Go to Next message: John Hines: "Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"
Go to Previous message: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Re: Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"