TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold

Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:56:34 -0700

Pat writes:

> here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3675.html sub-titled '.sex
> considered dangerous', it is an interesting sermon-length document
> which explains why the author has such hatred and bias against a TLD
> known as '.sex'

Pat apparently does not know the author of RFC 3675.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No, I do not know the author of that
work. All I could find on my copy was a copyright notice from Internet
Society. But one thing I noticed early on in my reading of that
missive was that most of what he said about '.sex' or '.xxx' regards
the way people could abuse those domain names could and has been done
in equal measure with '.com', '.org', '.edu', and '.net'. That little
factor -- that the author failed to include the rather well known TLDs
in his discussion of how the system can be abused did nothing to
impress me about the quality of his workmanship. It was almost as if
the author had some other secret agenda he failed to mention. Nor was
there any mention of those new arrivals '.biz', 'info', '.museum' and
'.aero' and how _they_ could be (and have been, in their short lives)
greatly abused. Apparently he feels it is okay to segregate dubious
'business' ventures, museums and airplane enthusiasts along with
dubious 'information' providers into their own domains, rather than
have them mainstreamed with others in .com, but he resents the idea
that .sex or .xxx should thus be segregated. It really makes one
wonder what his agenda is really all about. I don't really care _what_
the person's name is; I prefer to deal with ideas (which, in case you
did not know it, have _consequences_) rather than possibly know who
the person is and maybe have some prejudicial and unfair thoughts. So
anyway, Mark, I have now read RFC-3675. Where does our conversation
go from here? PAT]