TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: More on Verizon FioS Requirements

More on Verizon FioS Requirements

Lee Sweet (lee@datatel.com)
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:06:37 -0400

A bit of reading at Broadband Reports' in the FiOS forum would give a
better picture of life in the real Verizon installation world :-) See
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Verizon technically does say all that's been reported about removing
your copper and requiring use of their router, but:

1. There are many reports that they will leave the original voice
copper if you request it. (I don't know if you can use it for 3rd
party DSL, VZN probably won't give the wire to them, especially now
with the recent FCC decisions [did that mean they didn't have to,
period, or they could charge what they wanted?]; you may be able to
retain your VZN voice on it in places where FiOS is optional, and then
only have Internet on FiOS)

2. There are also many reports that you can have the installers use
the supplied 'mandatory' router to test/bring up the connection, shut
it down, and then use your old router (any router that can do PPPoE),
and be fine. You will want to have their router around to plug in,
because it has special diagnostics they can access from their end, but
there is no special reason to use it, per se. (This is particularly
of note for those that want to use Vonage, etc., adapters, and don't
want to cascade routers.)

Also, there have been many discussions at BBR about the battery
backup, with people not understanding that some COs also only have 8-
12 hours of battery and being all upset that 'the phone will die in 6
hours' or whatever. Me, when I get FiOS (I have no choice, you may
recall), I'm going to put a 1500VA APC UPS in back of the VZN backup
to run the thing for 24 hours, I hope.

(Yes, I have a non-cordless phone to use with it. :-) )

Lee Sweet
Datatel, Inc.
Manager of Telephony Services
and Information Security
How higher education does business.

Voice: 703-968-4661
Cell: 703-932-9425
Fax: 703-968-4625
lee@datatel.com
www.datatel.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "4-Wire Echo Suppression Conference Calls (WU Tech Review)"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "SBC Picks Motorola, S-A For Set-Tops"
May be reply: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: More on Verizon FioS Requirements"
May be reply: Michael Quinn: "Re: More on Verizon FioS Requirements"
May be reply: George Berger: "Re: More on Verizon FioS Requirements"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page