TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

wylbur37 (wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com)
12 Aug 2005 16:35:54 -0700

Recently, at a Radio Shack store at the telephone accessories section,
I noticed that telephone extension cords were available in lengths up
to 25 feet (but I didn't notice any that were longer). Is that
because 25 feet is the longest you can go before there's a significant
loss of signal strength?

And what about people who access the internet via 56K dial-up? For
them, how long can the extension cord be and still have "clean"
transmission for error-free downloads?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not know what the rule is -- if
any -- regarding the length of cords, but I do not think it has to
do with any signal degradation; after all, you might be _miles_ from
the central office building, or in the case of a DSL connection, up
to several thousand feet. PAT]

Go to Next message: Bill Matern: "Re: Urgent Help Needed With Internet Explorer IE 6.0"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "TiVo Tests Internet Download Service"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Fred Atkinson: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Michael Quinn: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Rich Greenberg: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Phil McKerracher: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
May be reply: John McHarry: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page