TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

Rich Greenberg (richgr@panix.com)
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:51:01 UTC

In article <telecom24.367.16@telecom-digest.org>, Michael Quinn
<quinnm@bah.com> wrote:

> Several years ago when or Verizon phone line failed (amazing, but it
> does happen), the tech ran a cable from the nearby riser across our
> lawn through the backyard into our house, must have been a hundred
> feet or more, while they waited to retrench the new cable. Now that
> there's fiber in the neighborhood, I guess they'll retrench a new
> fiber cable if we order FIOS.

Twice both of my phone lines went dead. Each time the problem was
"backhoe fade", or in these cases actually "shovel fade" The local
cable company whose pedastal was only inches from the telco pedastal
cut my line while working on my next door neighbor's cable connection.

The first time, the telco guy spliced it with a jelly filled splice
case. The second time they decided to replace the underground drop
wire, and rerouted it away from the cable pedastal. No problem since.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
Go to Previous message: Reed: "Re: Stock Market Ticker Tape Machines?"
May be in reply to: wylbur37: "How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"