TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

DevilsPGD (spamsucks@crazyhat.net)
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:32:13 -0600

In message <telecom24.365.7@telecom-digest.org> wylbur37
<wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Recently, at a Radio Shack store at the telephone accessories section,
> I noticed that telephone extension cords were available in lengths up
> to 25 feet (but I didn't notice any that were longer). Is that
> because 25 feet is the longest you can go before there's a significant
> loss of signal strength?

> And what about people who access the internet via 56K dial-up? For
> them, how long can the extension cord be and still have "clean"
> transmission for error-free downloads?

I'm not sure what the official specs are, and I'm much too lazy to
look 'em up, but my girlfriend has 2x50' cables connected back to back
and I can get a stable 50Kb connection.

In message <telecom24.365.7@telecom-digest.org> TELECOM Digest Editor
noted in response to wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com>:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not know what the rule is -- if
> any -- regarding the length of cords, but I do not think it has to
> do with any signal degradation; after all, you might be _miles_ from
> the central office building, or in the case of a DSL connection, up
> to several thousand feet. PAT]

True -- However, that cable will typically be better quality copper
then your average Radio Shack crap. That being said, 50'-100' isn't
usually a problem.

Go to Next message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bruno: "Digital Service BurnLounge Makes Anyone a Retailer"
May be in reply to: wylbur37: "How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"