TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Calling All Luddites

Re: Calling All Luddites

Dean M. (cjmebox-telecomdigest@yahoo.com)
Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:09:52 GMT

Heh! You should email Friedman this little piece of info:-) Although he
was obviously making a larger point, it's rather amusing his supposed
"straw that broke the camel's back" is bogus!

-Dean

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:07:28 -0700, Ed Clarke <clarke@cilia.org> wrote:

> On 2005-08-04, Thomas L Friedman <ntytimes@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

>> By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

>> I began thinking about this after watching the Japanese use cellphones
>> and laptops to get on the Internet from speeding bullet trains and
>> subways deep underground. But the last straw was when I couldn't get
>> cellphone service while visiting I.B.M.'s headquarters in Armonk, N.Y.

> No matter what you do, you aren't going to get cell service in CHQ
> Armonk. The lobby (if you noticed it) has a copper foil ceiling; the
> walls are metal and the windows are metalized (and grounded). You're
> not going to get a radio signal out of that building (or into it).
> I've tried.

> I had to set up a demo for the corporate staff that involved satellite
> data transmission. We ended up moving the meeting to a different
> building on the site that wasn't quite so RF secure.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: The Wired Are A Rude Bunch"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: How Do I Find GSM Coverage in the US?"
May be in reply to: Thomas L. Friedman: "Calling All Luddites"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page