TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:46:39 -0000

In article <telecom24.279.1@telecom-digest.org>, Fred Atkinson
<fatkinson@mishmash.com> wrote:

> I suspect that some of you are experiencing this or have already
> solved it. So, maybe one of you can tell me where I can find
> something to solve this problem.

> I've accumulated so many devices on my home network (and some devices
> that are not network related as well) that power strips are an issue.
> Most of these devices have the big 'calculator charger' type of power
> supply that plugs directly into the AC outlet.

> I've been looking for some type of power strip that has eight or more
> outlets that are spaced far enough apart that you can plug all of
> these things into them without overlapping each other.

> Searching the Internet, I've not found anything like this. The best
> is one of those long power strips that you usually install on the wall
> as a permanent part of the house electrical system. I think there
> might be something much better. Or maybe someone has a better
> suggestion.

> Any ideas?

"build it yourself", using "PlugMold", from wire-mold corp. Available
at most of the home-improvement superstores. (this is the permanent
wiring stuff.)

Radio Shack used to sell exactly what you're looking for, their part
61-2155 *discontinued*.

Browse through industrial supply catalogs, looking for outlet strips
to go into 'Rack cabinets'. Be prepared to pay $100 or so.

*Somebody* -- AHA! here it is! "Improvements"
<http://www.improvementscatalog.com> sells bundles of 'shortie'
(ie. 1-foot) extension cords, for exactly that use. (plug the
wall-wart into the extension cord, and the extension cord into the
strip.) my catalog shows a package of 5, for $13. Their item #238359

There are also "strips" (they're not really strips, but biggish
rectangles) made expressly for wall-warts, have the outlets located
'sideways' to typical, so that the xformer hangs off the side of the
thing. And have several inches of space between the outlets, to
accomodate the width of the xformer. Check a biggish hardware store
and/or the home-improvement stores.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: DSL Speed"
Go to Previous message: Howard S. Wharton: "Re: Power Strips for Home Networks"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Power Strips for Home Networks"