TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy

Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
7 Jun 2005 19:06:24 -0000

> But registrars can't be expected to filter prospective registrants
> to remove potential, or even actual, spammers.

It would be more accurate to say that registrars aren't willing to
filter actual spammers since that would cost money and they're more
interested in short term revenue than the long term good of the
Internet.

For years I've been saying that the Internet biz needs a credit bureau
so that when people try to sing up, it's possible to find out if
they've been booted off before for nonpayment, misbehavior, and other
problems. Everyone says it's a great idea, but so far not great
enough to do it.

R's,

John

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I wonder if anyone has considered a
class action suit (netters versus registrars) on the theory that if
the registrars had not given safe harbor to those cretins they
would have had no way to spam the world. I think the idea of a
'credit bureau' approach is a good one. Every person or company which
applies for an IP address or name space in a domain has to have their
request put up for public discussion/approval. You want to register an
IP address, and find a registrar willing to accept you, then
regardless of which registrar you wish to use, your application is
made public to the net, such as requesting an FCC license. After some
period of time -- let's say 60 days -- if there are no serious
complaints about you, your 'license' (or IP address or name space) is
granted. PAT]

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy"
May be in reply to: Chris Farrar: "Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy"