TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy

Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy

Gary Novosielski (gpn@suespammers.org)
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:27:55 GMT

Steve Sobol wrote:

> But the question is ... are you seeing emails coming from GoDaddy
> customers using their mailing list product? Or are you just seeing
> lots of spam from GoDaddy-registered domains? Both are bad. I'd argue
> that the former is a lot worse.

Since GoDaddy is a fast-growing registrar, it's likely that a lot of
mail, even mail with forged From: addresses, may come from a GoDaddy
-registered domain. But registrars can't be expected to filter
prospective registrants to remove potential, or even actual, spammers.

All a registrar does is point a domain name to a name server. It has
no part in transmitting the message, nor any idea what's in it. It's
the Internet service provider or web hosting company that should field
complaints and terminate the service of spammers.

Since GoDaddy also does hosting, it's possible they might be on the
hook for this, but I had the impression that the original complaint
was that some domain in the e-mail headers was had been registered
through GoDaddy, as confirmed by a whois search. If that's all it is,
then it's not really a fair gripe.

But I've re-read the messages and still can't tell for sure exactly
how GoDaddy is accused of being involved. Come to think of it, I
can't recall ever before seeing a complaint that tried to take a
domain name registrar to task for the actions of the owners of the
domains.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would like to ask you just one
question: _Why_ can't a registrar be expected to screen potential or
actual spammers? If registrars started doing that, they'd be heros
in the eyes of most netters. PAT]

Go to Next message: Gary Novosielski: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
Go to Previous message: NOTvalid@XmasNYC.Info: "Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy"
May be in reply to: Chris Farrar: "Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy"